7 days ago last Thursday I jammed with a living legend, original bass player from 70s funk mega-group The Commodores and in my opinion composer of most the best, nastiest and funkiest tracks by the band such as Brick House, Easy, I Feel Sanctified, Young Girls are My Weakness, Too Hot Ta Trot, and the steaming mad with funk hit: Look What You’ve Done To Me Baby!
Ron La Pread is his name, still going strong, and all going to plan we will form a Commodores official review band and do some touring and hopefully also recording upcoming…
…hopefully my next email will be with dates for our first gig.
The Setlist So Far
The Commodore – Original Funk Review Feat. Ron La Pread Playlist: toohot.funk.nz (redirects to the youtube playlist I just made)
- CEBU 90 bpm 16ths hi-hat. bridge semi-drum solo comes at end is stab end.
- BRICK HOUSE 104 bpm drum fill intro. Shake it. Snare on all four.
- TOO HOT TA TROT 120 bpm guitar intro 4 bars. Quarter note anacrusis drum fill then more hi-hat. Another 4 bars. Last snare of each 4 is anacrusis 16th as well. Hi-hat chokes are 1&. Absolutely killer vibe in the keyboard solo
- EASY 69 bpm piano intro 4 bars
- LOOK WHAT YOU’VE DONE TO ME
- MACHINE GUN 110 bpm all crash in on the one! End is fade.
- NIGHTSHIFT 102 bpm (is that too slow? Try 104) 16th hi-hat.
- LADY YOU BRING ME UP 120 bpm guitar intro 8 bars. EXTRA BAR in intro. Fades out
- YOUNG GIRLS 84 bpm 4 bar “clavinet” keyboard intro. Kick on all four a little hi-hat. from beat 3 onwards of that last 4th bar, the snare only comes in with 8th notes 3& and that tom 4 snare on e&
- SQUEEZE THE FRUIT
- GIMME MY MULE
- FANCY DANCER (Dahyam thats fonky!!! Phuck!!!)
- FUNKY SITUATION (William King)
- FUNNY FEELINGS
- WON’T YOU COME DANCE WITH ME
- SLIPPERY WHEN WET guitar conga intro. 8 bars total, kick on 1 and 3 starts after 4 bars after fill from 3e a4& of 3rd bar.
- PATCH IT UP (Milan Williams)
- SORRY TO SAY (slap bass)
- SAY YEAH (Ballad)
- ZOOM (Ballad)
- YOU DON’T KNOW THAT I KNOW (ballad)
- THREE TIMES A LADY 74 bpm ¾ time. ballad. Piano intro. First verse no drums.
- LOVIN’ YOU (Ballad)